Given that it’s the middle of the week, I thought a cocktail post might be in order. Sometimes a Wednesday night calls for this sort of thing, y’know?
This cocktail is a summery twist on the classic whiskey-ginger, and is perfect for mid-week drinking (given that it takes almost zero effort and brain cells in order to make.) The recipe is also highly adaptable, so feel free to sub in a different berry and/or herb if you feel like it.
Bourbon Blackberry Smash
makes one cocktail
- 2 large, ripe blackberries
- 4 mint leaves, torn
- Ginger beer
- In a rocks or double old-fashioned glass, muddle together the blackberries and mint leaves.
- Add 1.5 ounces bourbon.
- Fill glass with ice and top with ginger beer.
Notes and Modifications:
- I used Woodford Reserve, but feel free to use any whiskey or bourbon you like here.
- Cherries or blueberries would be a nice alternative to the blackberries, if you’ve got them on hand. If your berries are more on the tart side, add a little sugar during the muddling step.
- Feel free to try basil in place of the mint.
- I used Cock & Bull ginger beer. If you find the cocktail too sweet (as different types of ginger beer will add different amounts of sweetness) add a squeeze of lime.
I mean, it’s pretty much rocket science, right? Maybe I’ll recreate this around the holidays with cooked cranberries and rosemary. I think that might be quite a treat!